Tuesday 4 November 2014

Mists and mellow fruitfulness

We've had a bumper autumn so far; the walnuts in France have produced a brilliant harvest - it's just a shame we couldn't be there to collect more nuts & dry them all out properly.  I suspect we are going to have "lost" most of what David collected by the time we next make it to the house...

They are yummy, though!
A few of the walnuts, from one tree
I have collected chestnuts a couple of times when I've been out on my walks; in places they've been like a shag-pile rug, they were laying so thickly.  And the fruit are huge; really easy to peel, as well.

The only downside is all the disgusting dog owners who don't "police" their pets' "leavings".  I really hate having to watch every step because of dog poo!  And plenty of people are responsible; it's not as though anyone not reasonably able-bodied would be using the pathway where the chestnuts are..  It's just such a shame.

The apples have also been lovely, and the pumpkins made great risotto, nice cookies and truly wonderful pumpkin bread.

The only disappointment is that I haven't managed to make time to create any liqueurs this autumn.  I haven't had much success with autumn fruit foraging in England.  So I will need to plant some trees/bushes at the house, so that I will have plenty of raw materials for the future "Good Life" concoctions!

No comments:

Post a Comment